The Krishnamurti Foundation of America is excited to present the
2013 Krishnamurti Winter Study-Intensive
& Retreat Program
in Ojai, California
Unburdening and Freeing the Mind
An 8-Day Full-Immersion, Inquiry-Based Program for Adults and College Students
Creating the Ground for a Transformation of Consciousness
Sunday, JANUARY 6 to Sunday, JANUARY 13, 2013
A Rare Opportunity to Study & Retreat in Krishnamurti’s Home in the Beautiful Ojai Valley
REGISTRATION CLOSED / PROGRAM IS FULL
To apply for the program please fill out our Online Application Form.
Richard will contact you as soon as he receives your application
to answer any questions you may have about the program.
Once you have been accepted into the program,
please use the secure payment form to pay your deposit.
This is the 9th year that the Krishnamurti Foundation of America is offering this unique 8-day Study-Intensive Program that is designed to provide an opportunity for a deeply immersive study and in-depth exploration of the life-changing teachings of J. Krishnamurti, within a nurturing atmosphere of encouragement, affection and support.
Our program is truly a journey of self-discovery.
Our Inquiry-based program gives each of us the opportunity to work together in exploring Krishnamurti's teachings directly. We inquire together twice a day within a nurturing atmosphere of encouragement, affection and support. We are interested in applying Krishnamurti's approach of directly "seeing" and directly "listening" within the depth of our inquiries, to reach levels of awareness normally beyond the reach of our daily range of perception.
Our program allows us to tap into the deepest areas of the mind where operations take place that shape our sense of the real, yet usually remain inaccessible to our ability to examine them.
Krishnamurti pointed out that our conditioning, our unexamined beliefs and fears of every kind, including the very structures of thought that dominate our minds, are rarely ever examined, and therefore rarely ever "seen" in operation in our minds. In our program, we work together to directly "see" and to render transparent those limiting operations of the mind perhaps for the first time.
We want to expose these hidden operations so that we can become familiar with them and understand them. In this way we actually allow the unconscious mind to become fully conscious, so that we can begin to think wholistically with precision and clarity, and so move beyond fear and confusion and the darkness of the hidden shadow areas of the mind.
Through our work together, we can release potentially transformative energies that have been trapped as conditioned mechanical responses in our unconscious mind, since childhood. The release of these vital energies occurs spontaneously as we gain a deeper understanding and clarity into what is preventing each of us from a transformation of consciousness.
Our program invites us to actually meet Krishnamurti's teachings inwardly while being fully aware... while being fully awake and capable of "seeing" and "listening" with that quality of awareness that Krishnamurti's characterized as "Can one observe without the observer?"
The intention of our work together is to free the mind. When the mind is free of its accumulated distortions, there is space for a new wholistic dimension of awareness to enter.
We want to meet life freshly, with unrestricted energy, unburdened by the accumulation of psychological residue and conditioning of the past.
Areas of exploration that our program covers
• Can a new penetrating intelligence be born in the mind
• What is the source of all psychological suffering
• Why we experience a sense of limitation in our lives
• Our unexamined beliefs
• The illusion of separation
• Our psychological need for security
• Is thought the only means of accessing wisdom in our lives
• The true nature of a creative mind
• What it really means to be free
• Stepping out of psychological time
• What is the essence of true meditation
• Can we bring supreme clarity to our thinking
• Discovering for ourselves unknown dimensions of awareness
Come join us for this unique, transformative 8-day residential Study-Intensive and Retreat program.
We offer an opportunity to enter into a shared exploration of J.Krishnamurti’s teachings with like-minded people from around the world. There will also be time for quiet walks and meditation. Krishnamurti’s living quarters in Pine Cottage are now open as meditation rooms.
The exquisite beauty of the Ojai valley offers us the perfect space in which to enter into this work together. Study with us in this beautiful, peaceful valley where Krishnamurti lived and taught. You will be surrounded by majestic mountains, lush orange and avocado groves, and colorful blooming flowers. We will take lovely walks together in Ojai.
SPECIAL NOTE TO COLLEGE STUDENTS:
The Krishnamurti Summer Study Program is designed to address the special needs of college students. We are fully aware of the impersonal, institutional approach of most college educational experiences. For many college students there is also a great deal of confusion that arises as a result of the fragmented nature of treating different disciplines as “separate” islands of knowledge, and the insistence that learning is nothing more than memorization. In the Krishnamurti Study-Intensive and Retreat Programs, you will have the opportunity to go very deeply into the core questions that can lead us directly to find out for ourselves how the mind actually works, and what is preventing us from making a leap into another more wholistic dimension of awareness.
TUITION AND SIGN-UP INFORMATION:
Retreat and study in peaceful, breathtakingly beautiful, Ojai, California, amidst majestic mountains, lush orange and avocado groves, and wonderful hiking trails.
The Tuition fee and the Pepper Tree Retreat room fee cover the entire program including all meals and materials.
Regular Tuition: $725
College Student Discounted Scholarship Tuition: $325
Scholarships must be approved. Students, please contact Richard Waxberg for further information.
Senior Discount Tuition Fee/65 or older: $625
Local commuter participants pay the Tuition of $725, which includes lunch and dinner.
Pepper Tree Retreat / includes room and breakfast: $425
Local commuter participants pay the tuition only, which includes lunch and dinner. Please call or email Richard to discuss meal options.
Contact: Richard Waxberg to sign up for the program or for further details, at 805-640-0532 or by email.
We ask all participants to please pay the $35 Registration fee plus a 50% deposit on both the Tuition and the Pepper Tree Retreat fees, in order to hold their place in the program. The balance of payments is due one month before the program begins. The program fills on a First-to-Sign-Up basis.
Participants flying into LAX can be picked up, free of charge, in Ventura, at 2:45 PM on the first day of the program, and driven to Ojai, by taking the reasonably priced Ventura County Airporter Shuttle Service ($65 Round Trip) from LAX to Ventura. We will also drive participants back to Ventura on the last day of the program after our final morning dialogue, to catch the 10:45 AM Shuttle to LAX. Call Richard or email him for further details.
Once you have been accepted into the program, you can pay your Deposits to hold your place in the program (Registration, plus half of your Tuition fee, and half of the Pepper Tree Retreat room fee) by submitting your credit card information via our secure payment form. Please choose the correct Tuition fee (Regular, Discounted Senior or Discounted College Student Scholarship), at the top of the form and also enter your name and contact information.
COMMENTS FROM PARTICIPANTS:
• The dialogue work we did in the program in Ojai was the catalyst that unleashed all these unknown energies within me. By the end of the course, I was equipped with the tools of awareness needed to examine the thoughts which had been suppressing these energies. Mere words cannot express the gratitude I have for what went on in the program. Every single person there was a unique human being and contributed so much to the group’s collective exploration. I would personally like to thank Deborah, Richard, and Satish for the extended talks that went on during lunch, dinner, and late after the last dialogue. You guys could have easily just left when you got tired but you chose to stay and talk personally with us. These selfless acts really touched me and proved that you guys care whole-heartedly. ~ Ryan
• The 8 day session Richard, Satish and Deborah planned for us was a total and complete immersion into K’s living ideas. We watched videos, read books, but most importantly we created a community and understanding through honest and thoughtful discussion and dialogue. Most of us need a community of learners, of partners, of friends who help us shine a light on K’s teaching, this way and that, upside down and inside out. We need people who offer examples, but more than that, we need people who challenge Krishnamurti’s thinking, just as K had hoped we would do, and said so many times. In our sessions, we did just that. We lovingly challenged, and lovingly learned what it means to function in the world with a deeper understanding that we absorbed through K’s ideas.
All of us underwent a fundamental change during those 8 days. None of us will be the same. We will live through observing who we are in this world, living in the present moment and watching our interactions with others. In this way each group who is fortunate enough to go through this important program, and I hope there will be many taught at the KFA over the years, will change their small part of the world. ~ Carol
• The Krishnamurti Summer Study Intensive has undoubtedly changed my life. It has turned on a light which allows me to see, search, and explore myself in a way that is truly immeasurable. Certainly I have discovered a new approach, a new way to observe, and through the teachings of Krishnamurti and intense yet relaxed dialogues, new insights come to me every day.
An immense energy has been released. An energy that I have been holding back for so long and was afraid to look into the reasoning of. It is of utmost importance that anyone and everyone begin this exploration to also possibly release this energy. I would highly recommend this program to anyone that I know and to anyone that has the slightest intention of looking for a change.
Deborah, Richard, and Satish have shown each of us the utmost affection and compassion during the program. This compassion is very difficult and takes a tremendous amount of effort to go into, and I would like to express my utmost appreciation that they had the courage and love in them to do so and accomplish such a feat.
I truly hope that a program like this should not only continue to be highly supported, but also expanded, because nothing is more important than spreading this sense of beauty that every human is capable of seeing. ~ Aria
• Thank you very much for your kind work in the program! Thank you for your attention and compassion! The most unusual thing for me was the fact that people with different backgrounds and different conditioning could feel and understand each other so deeply. Sometimes there was an extraordinary calmness and clarity in my looking at myself and at the world around me. So, there was no separation between me and the rest of the world at all. There was no separation between my heart, my brain and my body. That was a feeling of direct perception of myself, nature, all the people around me, the feeling which I would call the true love. ~ Eugene
• When I finished the 8 day Intensive, I left Krishnamurti’s home in an awakened state that I felt was a gift. It was not mine alone, but shared amongst fellow beings that came together, and voluntarily agreed to question every thought and every idea that we were stuck too. This new awakening to life and deeper sense of awareness took place in an atmosphere of great warmth, humour, and insightfulness. ~ Christopher
• I cannot express adequately with words how amazing this program was, that I participated in with facilitators Richard, Deborah, and Satish, and all the students and participants.
It simply changed the way I look at life now in every aspect, how I relate to my family, my students, nature.
I observe and see with new eyes. I look at people around me that I already know, as if I am seeing them for the first time, and it is really liberating and opens space within me that I didn’t know existed.
I now pay attention to my thoughts and listen. There is a different quality to my understanding and people around me feel it. So I hear again and again my students saying “Maya, you radiate,” which is proof that this program planted seeds for profound changes. ~ Maya
• The Krishnamurti Summer Study Intensive doesn’t end after the 8 days but carries one back into the world of daily living; this “daily living” rides on the surface of a much deeper and profound peace and quietude that remains undisturbed.
Richard Waxberg, Deborah Kerner and Satish Telegar create a harmony with the participants which is free from ego and authority. In this environment, the group as a whole is transformed into a state of unity, free to explore the serious questions Krishnamurti raises so the truth of our existance may be revealed. This program is a blessing, open to all who are serious to examine inside and outside of themselves. This intensive, through grace, reveals the truth which has the potential to set us free. ~ Pam
PROGRAM COORDINATOR AND CO-FACILITATORS:
Richard Waxberg is the Director of the Krishnamurti Summer and Winter, Spring and Summer Study-Intensive & Retreat Programs. He co-facilitates all the Study-Intensive Programs along with Professor Satish Telegar and Deborah Kerner.
Richard Waxberg has been a college teacher for over 20 years. He has taught and developed a variety of courses for Parsons School of Design in New York City and at the Krishnamurti Rishi Valley School in India. He has also been involved in teacher training, and has designed special programs that help teachers to communicate with students from different cultural backgrounds. Richard is a practicing artist and novelist. He has studied and participated in Native American shamanic spiritual practices with traditional elders from several Native American tribes over a 10 year period. He developed, directs and co-facilitates the Krishnamurti Study-Intensive & Retreat Programs.
Dr. Satish Telegar, PhD, is a full-time professor of ancient and classical-to-modern world philosophy and religious studies at Towson University. He has taught at the Krishnamurti Rishi Valley School in India and several prestigious universities in the USA. Satish also teaches special programs at Towson that include the teachings of J.Krishnamurti within the context of ancient and classical-to-modern world philosophical and spiritual traditions. He is a respected scholar of the Vedantic and Buddhist spiritual traditions and texts. He also directs and facilitates a Krishnamurti Dialogical Study Group at Towson University. Satish co-facilitates the Krishnamurti Study-Intensive Programs.
Deborah Kerner has taught numerous workshops on design in New York City, and has also taught a variety of artistic and design subjects at the Krishnamurti Rishi Valley School in India. Deborah continues to have a highly distinguished career as a book designer, with clients such as Random House, Penguin Putnam, St. Martin’s Press, Doubleday and HarperCollins. Deborah has also studied and participated in Native American shamanic spiritual practices with traditional elders from several Native American tribes. She is a practicing artist and poet. Besides being an active co-facilitator, Deborah has been instrumental in the development of the Krishnamurti Study-Intensive & Retreat Programs.
For further information, please contact Richard Waxberg at 805-640-0532 or by email: email@example.com
PROGRAM POLICIES for the Krishnamurti Study-Intensive & Retreat Programs:
Registration and Payments: Participants are required to pay a non-refundable $35 Registration Fee, including a 50% Deposit of the Tuition Fee and the Pepper Tree Retreat room fee, to hold their place in the Program. The Tuition fee and the Pepper Tree Retreat room fee include all meals and program materials. The balance of all program fees is due one month before the program begins.
If the participant cancels their participation in the Program before 30 days, they get half of their Deposit back, excluding the Registration Fee. If a participant cancels after 30 days before the Program starts, they are obligated for the full Tuition and Registration Fee.
We strongly recommend that every participant independently purchase trip-insurance from a number of carriers for around $80-$120 (www.insuremytrip.com), just in case the unlikely possibility arises that the Programs do not run, or that a participant must cancel for personal reasons.
Food: Delicious vegetarian food is served during the program. No meat is allowed at the Krishnamurti Education Center. We will make reasonable efforts to meet your dietary and other special needs. Please let us know in your application.
Transportation: The Ventura County Airporter shuttle from LAX to Ventura (Holiday Inn Express) charges $35 each way and discounts the fare if the round-trip is purchased ahead of time (www.venturashuttle.com). At no charge, the retreat will pick up participants at the Holiday Inn Express at 2:45PM on the first day the program begins, and will drop off participants at the Holiday Inn Express at 10:45 AM on the day the program ends. At all other times, participants must make their own arrangements.
We advise that you not make flight reservations until final confirmation of the program and your enrollment. If the program is cancelled for any reason, all course payments will be returned.
For further information, please contact Richard Waxberg at 805-640-0532 or by email.