KFA - Krishnamurti Foundation of America

You are not logged in.

Announcement

To use the forum: 1) request the creation of a new account by clicking Register and sending us an email with your desired username 2) new users will be e-mailed a random password within three business days. They can then log in and change this password in their profile if they see fit. This feature also requires users to verify new e-mail addresses if they choose to change from the one they registered with 3) click Dialogue Forum link to enter the dialogue forum 4) click on an existing thread or post a new topic 5) enjoy the dialogue.....
Kindly be mindful of the following points regarding the forum. Dialogue is thinking together - it isn’t debate - and it's inquiring together without end point or agenda. People come into the dialogue from their own place of understanding, which is not going to be your place of understanding. We’re here to communicate together, learn together and gain insight into our own thought; to receive and share our observations, not impose our views on others. Address the comments in a polite, considerate manner. By all means, ask for clarification, but challenge the comment, not the commentator. We don’t know enough about the others to make those judgments and we’re here to learn about ourselves, not to correct another's perceived personality flaws. If a comment brings an emotional response, look at that. Do you feel the need to defend? To attack? Time for some looking inward. Self protection results in war. Besides, the war is in each of us. Stop that war, and the rest will take care of itself. (For some suggestions on the nature of dialogue, please click here)

Make friends across the globe, post your photos and videos, write a blog or start a discussion, just go to jkrishnamurti.ning.com

#51 2012-01-17 18:08:13

natura
Website

Re: What is patience?

Tom wrote:

So where shall we begin to deal adequately and intelligently with this question of patience?

Shouldn’t the beginning be also the end, accordingly to Krishnamurti?
Shouldn’t the rightly put question contain the answer?

Tom wrote:

But we're talking about a quality of the mind that perhaps doesn't resist whatever is passing through it, a mind that is happy to wait for clarity.

Honestly, Tom, if we’re really talking about that quality of that very special kind of mind, ‘waiting’ would be the last thing my mind would be happy about.
That quality use to be a pretty hard action, actually.

So, all verbal definitions naturally contain contradictions in themselves, because, as you’ve righteously noticed, they are nothing but word’s replacements; some kind of verbal conjuring. We can see it clearly enough without necessity to go beyond the thought.
The contradiction in our case is patience as action and waiting as doing nothing – both are included in context.
In fact, that’s already an impasse for any further verbal exploration of this question. Instead of exploration, it’s just a vast field for conjuring with words.

Tom wrote:

You see, I've put this question about patience because I have a sense that it is one way in which we can explore this bigger question of psychological time, of waiting for clarity, certainty or insight.

…and taking those premises above, you have already entranced that field including such fuzzy terms as ‘psychological time’, ‘clarity’ etc., etc. …

Welcome, and Farewell to endless circles, Tom.
No doubt, you will find a good, active team for that journey.

As for me, thanks for invitation, sorry, I’m not in.
I was pretty sick from that carousel and circus long ago.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν (nosce te ipsum)

#52 2012-01-17 18:23:20

snguyen

natura wrote:

Tom wrote:

So where shall we begin to deal adequately and intelligently with this question of patience?

Observe it carefully: are you in touch with the problem itself, or are you occupied and consumed with question and answer about it?

To a mind that is highly skilled at observing facts directly, the facts come to it easily and directly, bypassing any question or answer or any other abstract about it. The fact acts and liberates. There is no time.

#53 2012-01-17 18:33:21

natura
Website

snguyen wrote:

natura wrote:

Tom wrote:

Observe it carefully: are you in touch with the problem itself, or are you occupied and consumed with question and answer about it?

To a mind that is highly skilled at observing facts directly, the facts come to it easily and directly, bypassing any question or answer or any other abstract about it. The fact acts and liberates. There is no time.

The expression ‘a mind that is highly skilled at observing facts directly’ might be very questionable, snguyen.

The rest is beautuful

Last edited by natura (2012-01-17 18:35:14)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν (nosce te ipsum)

#54 2012-01-18 06:20:10

awareness
Banned

natura wrote:

Tom wrote:

Shouldn’t the beginning be also the end, accordingly to Krishnamurti?

Tom wrote:

But we're talking about a quality of the mind that perhaps doesn't resist whatever is passing through it, a mind that is happy to wait for clarity.

Honestly, Tom, if we’re really talking about that quality of that very special kind of mind, ‘waiting’ would be the last thing my mind would be happy about.
That quality use to be a pretty hard action, actually.

So, all verbal definitions naturally contain contradictions in themselves, because, as you’ve righteously noticed, they are nothing but word’s replacements; some kind of verbal conjuring. We can see it clearly enough without necessity to go beyond the thought.
The contradiction in our case is patience as action and waiting as doing nothing – both are included in context.
In fact, that’s already an impasse for any further verbal exploration of this question. Instead of exploration, it’s just a vast field for conjuring with words.

Tom wrote:

You see, I've put this question about patience because I have a sense that it is one way in which we can explore this bigger question of psychological time, of waiting for clarity, certainty or insight.

…and taking those premises above, you have already entranced that field including such fuzzy terms as ‘psychological time’, ‘clarity’ etc., etc. …

Welcome, and Farewell to endless circles, Tom.
No doubt, you will find a good, active team for that journey.

As for me, thanks for invitation, sorry, I’m not in.
I was pretty sick from that carousel and circus long ago.

quit funny this mind, which is happy to wait for clarity;-)

#55 2012-01-18 07:36:03

Eden

Tom wrote:

That's really what I've been leading up to.

You mean you have been asking leading questions?  Shocking!  I can hardly believe it!

#56 2012-01-18 11:40:30

awareness
Banned

may be that in tom fragments of the "what" are still working:-)

#57 2012-01-18 13:14:23

Tom

natura wrote:

Tom wrote:

That's why I want to open up the question, dig into it and see what it reveals. It's not a question about some abstraction called 'patience'; it's really a question about ourselves, about we what we are doing as we communicate with one another. Most of us are very quick to put up a barrier, usually an ideological barrier, which effectively says to the other person, 'I know more about this than you do,' or the converse, which is, 'I don't know enough about this - you tell me about it.' But at the moment, basically, there is no 'this', there is no subject matter as a background of knowledge from which we might converse. It doesn't stop people making that assumption, however. They hear one word and they are off, out of the blocks and away with it, with very little regard for whomever else might want to travel along with them.

As we said earlier - I said it in this thread; Joe said it in the last thread - we are all in the same boat here. We've all got the same dodgy tools of language. We are all conditioned human beings. We're all living on the same earth. So the question, as tentative or as forceful as it is, it always comes back to how you and I deal with it.

Last edited by Tom (2012-01-18 13:25:12)

#58 2012-01-18 14:52:18

tree

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Nvzg9AcGO6WY_4vK8nWrbo6Ju1Es8uGzLrcp8NE0XtZKtHRH1A

#59 2012-01-18 14:52:53

snguyen

So the question is about us. My question is, why haven’t we changed after all these long explorations into almost everything, in here and especially in life? We also have come to the point where we said we did not know. We also said that maybe more was not needed and what was needed was the right one step into the beginning of living in truth. Now, if all of what we have done truly have an actuality in them, meaning we are actually what we said and been saying and not just pretending with a bunch of mere knowledge, and since we are that actuality and they don’t just vanish as ideas or lies, then we don’t have to waste more time and energy to go through all that again. Apparently what we know hasn’t changed us radically because the knowing is the continuity of the past, and we seem to be fooled into believing we need to inquire until we are at the graveyard. Inquiry is for the sake of inquiry, a confused half truth borrowed blatantly halfway from K?

I say that if we do see the truths in what we have been exploring into, the change is there, and it is seeing the false as the false and the false does not continue. The road travels into what is less and less knowing. You don’t know the false anymore and it means there is no point to go back to it. Make sure we are clear about that.

Now, look at the presence, not the presence that is full of the past looking. What is this presence if it is not pure facts? To see facts, the mind must be very quiet, sensitive. The moment thought comes along it is not factual. And to live with facts is the beginning of transformation, of purely clear perception and wisdom comes from there. The teaching from facts can be translated into thought and the “translator” being aware that the word is not the thing, still finds the right words to communicate the energy, the integrity, and the truths.

I don’t want any lie, fallacy, pretention, mere knowledge, and so my question is, can we look at facts and inquire strictly from facts alone?

#60 2012-01-18 15:56:36

hermann

Tom wrote:

So have we the patience to go into the question? Do we have the patience to follow any question right through to the very end? That's really what I've been leading up to. Knowing that we are not dealing with things we can glean from the experts; knowing that we are on our own in this; knowing that we are all in the same boat, on the same footing - do we have the patience for it?

Or the question might be: Can I be that patience?  Can I sift out all the other qualities that I have acquired in time, so that nothing remains beyond that quality of patience?  Or seriousness?  For then there may be no difference between patience and seriousness.  K would sometimes ask: How much do you want it?, or what will you pay for it? Can I become that question, or such a question?

#61 2012-01-18 15:58:35

MF

snguyen wrote:

So the question is about us. My question is, why haven’t we changed after all these long explorations into almost everything, in here and especially in life? We also have come to the point where we said we did not know. We also said that maybe more was not needed and what was needed was the right one step into the beginning of living in truth. Now, if all of what we have done truly have an actuality in them, meaning we are actually what we said and been saying and not just pretending with a bunch of mere knowledge, and since we are that actuality and they don’t just vanish as ideas or lies, then we don’t have to waste more time and energy to go through all that again. Apparently what we know hasn’t changed us radically because the knowing is the continuity of the past, and we seem to be fooled into believing we need to inquire until we are at the graveyard. Inquiry is for the sake of inquiry, a confused half truth borrowed blatantly halfway from K?

I say that if we do see the truths in what we have been exploring into, the change is there, and it is seeing the false as the false and the false does not continue. The road travels into what is less and less knowing. You don’t know the false anymore and it means there is no point to go back to it. Make sure we are clear about that.

Now, look at the presence, not the presence that is full of the past looking. What is this presence if it is not pure facts? To see facts, the mind must be very quiet, sensitive. The moment thought comes along it is not factual. And to live with facts is the beginning of transformation, of purely clear perception and wisdom comes from there. The teaching from facts can be translated into thought and the “translator” being aware that the word is not the thing, still finds the right words to communicate the energy, the integrity, and the truths.

I don’t want any lie, fallacy, pretention, mere knowledge, and so my question is, can we look at facts and inquire strictly from facts alone?

Just wonderful.

#62 2012-01-18 17:21:09

Tom

snguyen wrote:

So the question is about us. ... can we look at facts and inquire strictly from facts alone?

We are conditioned. Is this a fact?

#63 2012-01-18 17:27:18

Tom

hermann wrote:

Or the question might be: Can I be that patience? Can I sift out all the other qualities that I have acquired in time, so that nothing remains beyond that quality of patience? Or seriousness? For then there may be no difference between patience and seriousness. K would sometimes ask: How much do you want it?, or what will you pay for it? Can I become that question, or such a question?

Are you saying that you want to become something else different from what you are now?

#64 2012-01-18 17:59:45

snguyen

Tom wrote:

snguyen wrote:

So the question is about us. ... can we look at facts and inquire strictly from facts alone?

We are conditioned. Is this a fact?

Yes it is. What is conditioning and how does it operate? Can I say that memory is a factor of conditioning? Yesterday I had that moment of happiness and today it shapes my expectation of the same happiness. If I did not have that memory, what would be the state of mind today? That is its operation.

Now, what is the fact of conditioning? How do I touch it? The fact of fear, for example, is an intense feeling where I can feel it directly without the word. But what is conditioning?

Last edited by snguyen (2012-01-18 18:09:58)

#65 2012-01-18 18:45:07

tree

does it matter?

#66 2012-01-18 18:58:18

snguyen

tree wrote:

does it matter?

Why don't you take a seat and see how you play the card game?

#67 2012-01-18 18:59:55

snguyen

Magnetic wrote:

tree wrote:

Magnetic wrote:

empty sits? where did the poker players go?

http://www.chinatourguide.com/china_pho … _tibet.jpg

does it matter?

absolutely, asking the question points to that......

without asking such a question does the same thing... unless you like pictures.

#68 2012-01-18 19:03:49

snguyen

Magnetic wrote:

snguyen wrote:

Magnetic wrote:

absolutely, asking the question points to that......

without asking such a question does the same thing... unless you like pictures.

what does the same thing?

That is, it does not matter.

#69 2012-01-18 19:10:38

tree

snguyen wrote:

tree wrote:

Magnetic wrote:

empty sits? where did the poker players go?

http://www.chinatourguide.com/china_pho … _tibet.jpg

does it matter?

Why don't you take a seat and see how you play the card game?

http://brunkens.net/sitebuilder/images/Rainbow_in_the_sun_and_rain-573x339.jpg

the house always wins

#70 2012-01-18 19:14:35

tree

(it's patient)

#71 2012-01-18 19:53:24

hermann

Tom wrote:

hermann wrote:

Or the question might be: Can I be that patience? Can I sift out all the other qualities that I have acquired in time, so that nothing remains beyond that quality of patience? Or seriousness? For then there may be no difference between patience and seriousness. K would sometimes ask: How much do you want it?, or what will you pay for it? Can I become that question, or such a question?

Are you saying that you want to become something else different from what you are now?

There can be no becoming if we see becoming as a device of time.  But it may be possible to drop that device.  It may also be possible to drop the self.

#72 2012-01-18 21:16:34

hermann

What would it mean 'to drop the self', and what would it mean 'to drop time'?  Is it just a linguistic sleight-of-hand?

#73 2012-01-18 21:20:06

hermann

Can my life become a question?

#74 2012-01-19 00:35:43

snguyen

hermann wrote:

Can my life become a question?

What do you mean???

#75 2012-01-19 03:45:32

Eden

There comes a time in a mans life where you just need Jr Marley to break it all down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9VQye6P8k0

Board footer