KFA - Krishnamurti Foundation of America

You are not logged in.

Announcement

To use the forum: 1) request the creation of a new account by clicking Register and sending us an email with your desired username 2) new users will be e-mailed a random password within three business days. They can then log in and change this password in their profile if they see fit. This feature also requires users to verify new e-mail addresses if they choose to change from the one they registered with 3) click Dialogue Forum link to enter the dialogue forum 4) click on an existing thread or post a new topic 5) enjoy the dialogue.....
Kindly be mindful of the following points regarding the forum. Dialogue is thinking together - it isn’t debate - and it's inquiring together without end point or agenda. People come into the dialogue from their own place of understanding, which is not going to be your place of understanding. We’re here to communicate together, learn together and gain insight into our own thought; to receive and share our observations, not impose our views on others. Address the comments in a polite, considerate manner. By all means, ask for clarification, but challenge the comment, not the commentator. We don’t know enough about the others to make those judgments and we’re here to learn about ourselves, not to correct another's perceived personality flaws. If a comment brings an emotional response, look at that. Do you feel the need to defend? To attack? Time for some looking inward. Self protection results in war. Besides, the war is in each of us. Stop that war, and the rest will take care of itself. (For some suggestions on the nature of dialogue, please click here)

Make friends across the globe, post your photos and videos, write a blog or start a discussion, just go to jkrishnamurti.ning.com

#1 2010-05-24 03:14:37

Herbj

Was Krishnamurti vegan or vegetarian?

He talked sometimes about not eating meat, and how it was so unnecessary.. But was he vegan?

Anyone know???????????????????? Just curious...

He obviously only ate when he was hungry, but did he eat dairy and eggs??

It may be difficult, in some parts of the world, including USA (believe it or not) with all its farmers markets (In certain rural farmers areas) to maintain a stricly vegan diet.. It ISNT easy... YOu have to get enout protien.. enough amino combinations, enough iron.. enough vitamins.. It isnt easy. And it may be slightly expensive.

Im just wondering if anyone knew.. whas he vegetarian (doesnt eat mean, fish insects etc.), or was he vegan (doesnt eat meat, dairy, unfertilized eggs, larvae etc.).

Its a good question, as i was looking to go vegetarian myself... its a good diet; but it may be hard to maintain a strait forward vegan lifestyle..

#2 2010-05-24 04:54:41

patricia
Website

Re: Was Krishnamurti vegan or vegetarian?

K was a vegetarian. He did eat eggs.

#3 2010-05-24 23:23:51

troy
Admin

Right. If you can get a copy of Michael Krohnen's Kitchen Chronicles, you can see the menus he served K and the others. I'm not an expert, I don't think vegan was much of a thing at the time.

#4 2010-05-25 13:57:59

retnajothi

Vegan or vegitarian has nothing to do with religion.But one who has deep concern for the world suffering,will be sesitive and there will be a change of heart.

Last edited by retnajothi (2010-05-25 14:27:45)

#5 2010-05-25 14:25:06

retnajothi

Herbj wrote:

He talked sometimes about not eating meat, and how it was so unnecessary.. But was he vegan?

Anyone know???????????????????? Just curious...

He obviously only ate when he was hungry, but did he eat dairy and eggs??

It may be difficult, in some parts of the world, including USA (believe it or not) with all its farmers markets (In certain rural farmers areas) to maintain a stricly vegan diet.. It ISNT easy... YOu have to get enout protien.. enough amino combinations, enough iron.. enough vitamins.. It isnt easy. And it may be slightly expensive.

Im just wondering if anyone knew.. whas he vegetarian (doesnt eat mean, fish insects etc.), or was he vegan (doesnt eat meat, dairy, unfertilized eggs, larvae etc.).

Its a good question, as i was looking to go vegetarian myself... its a good diet; but it may be hard to maintain a strait forward vegan lifestyle..

Any how vegitarian diet is a healthier diet.Many people are vegitarian because their  ancestors are vegitarian and Hindus of India too  want to be vegitarian on religious believes.Priests of temples are vegitarion because they cannot enter the  sanctumsanctorium if they touch meat.It is a racial custom too.People who are non vegitarian are also considered,low too.But in western countries many are converting to vegitarian dishes for health reasons.
Anyhow killing animals for food is disgusting.K did not much touch on being vegitarian bot off and on he spoke of it and of the cruety to animals.

#6 2010-05-25 22:48:30

patricia
Website

K did indicate that the ingrained and conditioned insensitivity of those who choose to eat meat is a barrier to any manner of change in the human brain occurring.

#7 2010-05-26 10:16:00

pebble

Any how vegitarian diet is a healthier diet.Many people are vegitarian because their  ancestors are vegitarian and Hindus of India too  want to be vegitarian on religious believes.Priests of temples are vegitarion because they cannot enter the  sanctumsanctorium if they touch meat.It is a racial custom too.People who are non vegitarian are also considered,low too.But in western countries many are converting to vegitarian dishes for health reasons.
Anyhow killing animals for food is disgusting.K did not much touch on being vegitarian bot off and on he spoke of it and of the cruety to animals.

Really?? So hindus are vegitarians, and so much elivated than others? If killing is disgusting...can we torture animals for food??sad

#8 2010-05-28 16:25:50

Herbj

Hmmmm... I dont know... K said that it doesnt matter what you put in you mouth... As long as in moderation..

#9 2010-05-28 16:37:53

Herbj

Ok, thanks, Troy.. just superficially.. Ive been looking for that book for 6 years... Thnx again..

#10 2010-05-28 16:54:41

Herbj

Also, I have stuck to a vegan diet for almost 5 years... That is the reason why i questioned wether K was Vegan.... Its not easy... Most time its conducted wrong, calculated wrong and unhelahty. It is possible to be a healthy vegan.... But very difficult.

Its very difficult to do it on vegetables alone... Most of the time you need a daily vitamin supplement... Most of the Vegans, if youve noticed, are not healthy... You need a calcium supplement, a vitamin D supplement, an Iron supplement... at the least...

I used to eat peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews.....

Lost Vegans are only temporary vegans, and they wear out of it afte less than a year... less than 2 years at the most ( its just a fad)..

You can go on youtube and look up Vegans and see how unhealthy that lifestyle is... Just for YIF

#11 2010-05-28 20:23:16

patricia
Website

It is not difficult to live a healthy vegan life - but it does require great attention.

All the essential amino acids have to be incorporated in the diet, and also enough protein -  so nuts, legumes, and foods like tofu, miso and seitan are needed to support the diet of frults and vegetables.

It is challenging to eat out for the most part, unless one is lucky enough to find excellent vegan and vegetarian restaurants nearby. Japanese restaurants can always cater for vegans.

With diligent research and intelligence, anyone can live a very healthy life indeed as a vegan - more so than any other chosen diet. Health problems just fade away when a serious vegan diet is undertaken.

Last edited by patricia (2010-05-28 20:26:52)

#12 2010-05-28 21:22:41

booda

It's a little known fact, but people who lived and worked with Krishnamurti are familiar with his fondness for the cheeseburgers at a certain burger joint in Ojai. Once or twice a week he'd call a cab and go down there and treat himself to a cheeseburger (he insisted on American cheese), a bag of fries, and he'd stuff his pockets with ketchup packets. When he returned nobody would say anything. It was all very hush-hush back then. But after his death, the old-timers would get together and regale themselves with stories like this.

#13 2010-05-28 22:26:12

Andrew

booda wrote:

It's a little known fact, but people who lived and worked with Krishnamurti are familiar with his fondness for the cheeseburgers at a certain burger joint in Ojai. Once or twice a week he'd call a cab and go down there and treat himself to a cheeseburger (he insisted on American cheese), a bag of fries, and he'd stuff his pockets with ketchup packets. When he returned nobody would say anything. It was all very hush-hush back then. But after his death, the old-timers would get together and regale themselves with stories like this.

What period of K's life was he eating burgers, do you know?

#14 2010-05-29 00:04:20

booda

Andrew wrote:

booda wrote:

Around the time Bohm was there. They went out together sometimes. Bohm was big on deep-fried burritos, and he used to stash beef jerky in his coat pocket. His wife would get  furious when he and K slipped out for a bite, and there was Hell to pay when they got back.

#15 2010-05-29 01:04:55

Andrew

booda wrote:

Andrew wrote:

booda wrote:

Around the time Bohm was there. They went out together sometimes. Bohm was big on deep-fried burritos, and he used to stash beef jerky in his coat pocket. His wife would get  furious when he and K slipped out for a bite, and there was Hell to pay when they got back.

Interesting.  I'd like to ask if you know a little bit more about K and Bohm's relationship.  This is off-topic of the thread, but what the heck?  I've heard rumors that K had an affair with Bohm's wife, and that this was a very key factor in K and Bohm's relationship deterioration.  I've tried to research it a bit but could not get to the historical facts of it.  Do you know whether this happened?

#16 2010-05-29 02:59:49

patricia
Website

I think already K felt he had gone as far as he could with Bohm in discussions - he said as much to Mary Zimbalist - and coincidentally Bohm heard the rumours about K's early relationship with Rosalind, (later - in 1991 - published in Radha Rajagopal Sloss' book) and Bohm chose to judge K for his past 'misdeeds'.

Don't cheeseburgers have meat in them? I doubt that K ever ate meat - he was raised and conditioned as a strict Brahmin. It may have made the meat-eaters around him happier to believe that he did however....... so hence those rumours.

I also question that K would have had an affair with Bohm's wife, but rather he copped Bohm's disapproval about his earlier reported triflings.

#17 2010-05-29 04:13:07

hermann

My hunch is that booda is making up his 'facts' as he goes along as a deliberate taunt to those inclined to model themselves after k.

#18 2010-05-29 06:01:34

booda

I don't know about any "affairs" beyond what the Sloss book alleges, and I don't give much credence to the junk food stories I related, either. I say this because it's believed that the stories were propagated by the meat industry. Why, you might ask, would the meat industry want to spread scurrilous rumors about K? Well, way back in the twenties, before K was enlightened, he supposedly approached a hot dog vendor and said, "Make me one with everything", and because his enlightenment came shortly afterwards, the meat industry insisted that a hot dog was largely responsible for it. So, when K publicly denounced the eating of meat, the meat industry retaliated and started spreading rumors that K was a closet carnivore.

Last edited by booda (2010-05-29 06:03:40)

#19 2010-05-29 16:46:24

Andrew

booda wrote:

I don't know about any "affairs" beyond what the Sloss book alleges, and I don't give much credence to the junk food stories I related, either. I say this because it's believed that the stories were propagated by the meat industry. Why, you might ask, would the meat industry want to spread scurrilous rumors about K? Well, way back in the twenties, before K was enlightened, he supposedly approached a hot dog vendor and said, "Make me one with everything", and because his enlightenment came shortly afterwards, the meat industry insisted that a hot dog was largely responsible for it. So, when K publicly denounced the eating of meat, the meat industry retaliated and started spreading rumors that K was a closet carnivore.

I just want to point out that you presented the cheeseburger story as historical fact.  You are now saying that you don't give much credence to the story.  I suppose that this must be related the mask you were wearing at the time. 

"...It's a little known fact, but people who lived and worked with Krishnamurti are familiar with his fondness for the cheeseburgers at a certain burger joint in Ojai. Once or twice a week he'd call a cab and go down there and treat himself to a cheeseburger (he insisted on American cheese), a bag of fries, and he'd stuff his pockets with ketchup packets. When he returned nobody would say anything. It was all very hush-hush back then. But after his death, the old-timers would get together and regale themselves with stories like this."

#20 2010-05-29 20:11:59

booda

Leg-pulling is a fine art, and though I haven't mastered it, I'm reasonably competent, as your inability to feel your own leg being pulled attests. Hermann felt a faint tug and expressed his skepticism, but you jumped in with both feet.

#21 2010-05-29 20:15:06

booda

Herbj wrote:

Hmmmm... I dont know... K said that it doesnt matter what you put in you mouth... As long as in moderation..

"All things in moderation, including moderation"       Mark Twain

#22 2010-05-30 00:15:50

ant
Website

It is not merely eating wrong food, but also eating the rght food and in right amount , he was concerned. Has any one come across K's comments on eating to the requirement of the body? Generally, all great men were small or limited eaters, even by the calorie requirement of the body.

#23 2010-05-30 14:20:56

pitfalll

You can't be right, because if you were I'd be a genius.

#24 2010-05-30 19:36:36

ant
Website

At least do you see the fact that worldwide,  most people eat more but less nutritious food, including those who can afford?

#25 2010-05-30 19:50:51

Andrew

ant wrote:

At least do you see the fact that worldwide,  most people eat more but less nutritious food, including those who can afford?

Markets are flooded with carbohydrates, largely responsible for obesity problem.

Board footer